Sunday, August 20, 2006

Vanilla Bean Ice Cream

The other day I was grabbing something from the basement when I noticed something on a shelf nearby. I turned and saw that it was the ice cream attachment for my KitchenAid that had caught my eye. I popped it into the freezer without a second thought and returned to whatever it was I had been doing.
Today I happened to remember placing it in the freezer while I was grocery shopping. So, I dropped by the dairy case and picked up a few ingredients before leaving.
Later I found a quick and easy recipe, made a few adjustments, and started making the custard. Today I took my time and followed the directions perfectly, evening allowing the mixture to completely cool before trying to churn it. (This is an important step that I happened to have learned the hard way!) So, after dinner and a little freezer time, we broke out the banana split bar. Yum Yum. The ice cream turned out creamy, smooth, and very tasty. It was good alone and even better with accompaniments.

Vanilla Bean Ice Cream
adapted from riceandnoodles

1 1/2 cup milk
1 1/2 cup half & half
1/2 cup sugar
1 vanilla bean
6 egg yolks

Place the milk and half & half in a heavy saucepan. Split the vanilla pod and scrape out the seeds. Place the vanilla bean and seeds into the milk mixture and stir together. Simmer mixture on low for about 15 minutes, stirring constantly.
In a heat proof mixing bowl stir together the egg yolks and sugar. Gradually add the hot milk mixture and whisk together. Once everything is incorporated return it to the saucepan. Simmer an additional 10 minutes (stirring constantly) on low or until the back of a wooden spoon is coated. Mixture should be slightly thickened.
Bring to room temperature and then place in a clean bowl. Cool in the refrigerator for one hour.
Once cooled place mixture in ice cream maker. Churn until thick, about 30 minutes. Serve as is or freeze an additional 3 hours for firmer texture.

Posts You Might Enjoy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...