Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Destination Dinner - Stir Fry

There is something about having a secret that I love. I spend all day thinking and scheming about something all the time knowing that my husband is non the wiser. I enjoy running about from store to store gathering ingredients for a special meal that only I know about. There's no rhyme or reason to when or why I make a special meal...the idea just sneaks into my mind and doesn't leave until I act on it. Sometimes I will supress the urge for a day-two at the most before I give in.
Pre-parenthood this used to include a table for two with candlelight in the bedroom, indoor picnics next to the fireplace, or outdoor bonfires. Now it is more of a rush job when most of the prep work is done during naptime and even still I rarely finish in time so I have to block Joseph's view of the kitchen as he enters and usher him and the little one out of the room to allow me a little extra time to put the finishing touches on dinner.
Last night's asian destination dinner was the most hectic surprise dinner I've made to date. I think I had to do a full body block to prevent Joseph from getting a sneak peak as I tried to hand over Gabe's dinner. Not quite the quiet, romantic atmosphere I was going for...but it was still worth it. His expression was priceless as I pulled out the platter of california rolls I had hiding in the fridge. He could not believe I had made sushi, his favorite, for dinner.
Although it was a long process for one roll of sushi, I had a great time trying my hand at this artform. I even think it turned out okay for my first attempt and I might even have to buy a bamboo mat to make the rolling go a little easier. (I actually used a couple layers of tinfoil with a towl underneath.) As you can see from the picture, I do need to work on my slicing skills. Getting the blade of the knife to go through without any drag was challenging and my slices certainly were not consistent in size - but the taste was there!

Beef Stir-fry

1 lb beef sliced thin
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 cloves garlic
fresh cracked pepper
1/2 onion, sliced in rings
1 red bell pepper, sliced
2 cups broccoli

Marinate the beef in the soy sauce, garlic, and pepper for at least 30 minutes. Saute the beef in 2 tablespoons oil for 1 minute on each side. Remove from pan. Add in remaining ingredients and any remaining marinade and saute for 3-4 minutes or until desired doneness. Add in beef and serve over rice.




Technorati Tags:, ,
Generated By Technorati Tag Generator

Posts You Might Enjoy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...