Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Happy Valentine's Day

Like most of our holiday celebrations around here Valentine's Day tends to be centered around food. I think and plan and shop for days before the big event trying to get everything perfect. I usually plan on elaborate sidedishes and desserts that take all day to prepare. The end result is always satisfying but I'm so harried up to the event that the day is filled with little frustrations. Take last year for example, I planned on making a chocolate box filled with whipped cream and berries. The concept was great but my execution was lacking. It took three different trials before I finally resorted to making a chocolate bowl which looked a little less than perfect to me. So this year I decided (and after Joseph pleaded with me) to take an easier route and do things that could be prepped in little time and could be done mainly ahead of time. Following this requirement I decided on a menu of:

Marinated Bocconcini with Crostini
Herbed Golden Potatoes
Roasted Parmesan Asparagus
Herb Encrusted Rack of Lamb
Bailey's and Chocolate Fondue

The rack of lamb was the only thing that really required any attention and it was minimal. I prepped the fondue earlier in the day and left it on the stove until just before serving when I reheated it and poured it into my makeshift fondue pot.
I even had time to do all of the dishes before even sitting down which left *little* to clean up afterwards.
I would suggest using a traditional fondue pot if you have one.  I improvised and it worked, but the candle was too close to the pyrex dish and the chocolate actually started to bubble and pop so we ended blowing out the flame and eating it all quickly before it could cool down to much.  It definitely made it more interesting!!

Chocolate Fondue
Luscious Chocolate Desserts by Lori Longbotham
1 cup heavy cream
2 Tablespoons water
10 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
Pinch of salt
1 to 3 Tablespoons Bailey's Irish Cream
Fresh fruit
(Ice cream)

Bring the cream and water just to a boil in a medium heavy saucepan over medium-high heat. Remove the pan from the heat, add the chocolate and salt, and whisk until smooth. Add the liquor, if using, and whisk until blended. (The fondue can be made up to 3 days in advance and kept in a cool refrigerator. Gently reheat before serving.)
Transfer the fondue to a ceramic pot and keep warm over very low heat. Serve with the dipping ingredients of your choice.

Posts You Might Enjoy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...