Saturday, February 10, 2007

A Surprise Inside

There are many blogging events to partake in and I always have good intentions of entering but fail to get my act together or find the time before the deadline to participate. Today's breakfast was a combination of two past events that sounded like fun; A Surprise Inside and World Nutella Day. Since my mom is visiting this weekend and I wanted to make her something special I used these two events to inspire my stuffed french toast. I know this isn't a new concept, and I've actually done the cream cheese filling before but the Nutella was the exciting one. I'm sure some of you won't believe that my mom had never tasted Nutella before today...what a shame.
Anyways, I decided to do half of the french toast with the cream cheese and raspberry filling and half with the Nutella and raspberry filling. Then I cut them up and we each took one cream cheese and one chocolate piece. The general consensus was that the Nutella filled toast was far superior. Mom liked it so much that she asked where she could get some. I think I see stuffed french toast in her future.

Stuffed French Toast
1 loaf french bread or challah bread
3 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla
pinch of salt
2 tsp cinnamon
1 T butter

Cut 1 inch thick slices of french bread.  Using a paring knife make a slit through the bottom flat side of the bread creating a pocket inside the center of the bread.  Use your finger to open it a bit and spread nutella, cream cheese and berries, or your desired filling inside.  Mix remaining ingredients (except butter) in shallow pie pan.  Dip stuffed bread in egg mixture for 30 second per side.  Melt butter over medium heat in a large skillet.  Add bread and cook until browned on both sides and heated through.  Serve with additional syrup or  powdered sugar.



Technorati Tags:, , , ,
Generated By Technorati Tag Generator

Posts You Might Enjoy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...