Thursday, July 19, 2007

The Best Zucchini Bread

Sunday I stopped by the garden to do a little weeding and maintenance and decided to leave one small zucchini attached to the plant since it wasn't much bigger than my largest finger. Two days later and two downpours later I returned to a zucchini the shape and size of my calf. I held it up to my leg and it reached from my knee down to my ankle. After marveling at it for a day I decided to make it into my favorite zucchini bread...I think this makes 3 batches in the past few weeks. I'll surely be sharing it with the neighbors this time.

Zucchini Breadadapted from Food Network's Paula Dean recipe

3 1/4 c flour
1 1/2 t salt
1 t ground nutmeg
2 t baking soda
1 t ground cinnamon
2 1/2 c sugar
1 c vegetable oil
4 eggs, beaten
1/3 c water
2 c grated zucchini
1 c chopped walnuts
1 t vanilla

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Combine the dry ingredients in one large bowl. In another bowl combine the oil, eggs, water, vanilla, and zucchini. Mix wet ingredients together and then add into the dry mixture. Fold in the nuts. Bake in 2 prepared loaf pans or 12 large cupcakes. Bake loaf pans for about 1 hour and about 30 minutes for smaller breads. Check for doneness by inserting a toothpick and when it comes out clean the bread is done.

Posts You Might Enjoy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...