Saturday, September 08, 2007

Apple Danish

Fall is coming! I'm so excited since it is my very favorite season. I love the fact that I can dress in long sleeves and wear my favorite jeans all the time. I love the colors and the crispness. I love that sweat does not pour down my back while lightly playing outside. I also love apples and anything made with them sweet or savory. I like them cooked in pies, topping my pancakes, or even in my porkchops and stuffing.
I got a jump on fall yesterday when I picked up a few pounds of apples and made a wonderfully easy apple danish/tart. I used the same tried and true method my mother taught me for making apple danish except I left out the double crust method and made it into an easy rustic tart. We like this so much that we eat it for dessert and turn around and eat it for breakfast the next morning.

Apple Danish

5-6 apples, peeled, cored, and sliced thin
2 T sugar
2 t cinnamon
1/2 - 1 c dry cereal (we usually use rice krispies, but we've used corn flakes or chex in a pinch)
1 T butter
Enough pie dough for a 12 inch circle
2 T milk
1 t vanilla
Powdered sugar

Roll pie dough into a circle and transfer to a parchment lined pizza pan or baking sheet. In a large bowl combine apple slices, sugar and cinnamon. Spread cereal onto bottom of pie dough (this layer will soak up the juices and allow you to eat this dessert with one hand which is how we always did it - no forks necessary). Pour apple mixture on top and dot with butter. Bring edges of dough up around the sides of the apples and bake at 350 degrees until lightly browned.
Allow to cool and then mix vanilla and milk in a small bowl. Add in enough powdered sugar to form a thick icing and drizzle over cooled tart.

Posts You Might Enjoy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...