Thursday, December 10, 2009

Steak Sandwiches with Mac and Cheese

My oldest turned four last weekend. How time flies! He was sure he wanted a big birthday bash with all of his friends and lots of cake and decorations...so I set to work! I had an easy time deciding on decorations and entertainment, it was the food that I spent the most time worrying about. I wanted something pleasing to the kids as well as the adults, but nothing too simple or boring. After a few trial runs and much flip-flopping I decided on steak sandwiches (since we had lots of dads attending!) and mac and cheese for the kids and vegetarians attending.
I did a lot of researching for the mac and cheese and settled on this version from Smitten Kitchen who originally got it from the Martha Stewart Living Cookbook. I'm going to repost it here mainly so that I do not ever, ever lose this recipe. It is that good. It was so cheesy and delicious and reheated like a dream...just like she said it would. I got so many wonderful comments and requests for the recipe that I couldn't be happier with the results.

Best Ever Mac-and-Cheese
Adapted from smittenkitchen.com who adapted it from Martha Stewart Living Cookbook: The Original Classics
I left out the cubed bread topping and just sprinkled the remaining cheese on top. This worked for me, but go ahead and add bread or breadcrumbs if you like. If you are making this for 4 or less people I would advise you to only make half the recipe. It more than filled one big casserole dish.

6 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, plus more for casserole
5 1/2 cups milk
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons coarse salt
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
4 1/2 cups (about 18 ounces) grated sharp white cheddar cheese
2 cups (about 8 ounces) grated Gruyère or 1 1/4 cups (about 5 ounces) grated Pecorino Romano cheese
1 pound elbow macaroni
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Butter or spray a 3-quart casserole dish.
2. Warm the milk in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Melt the butter in a high-sided skillet over medium heat. Once melted, add the flour. Cook, stirring, 1 minute.
3. While whisking, slowly pour in the hot milk a little at a time to keep mixture smooth. Continue cooking, whisking constantly, until the mixture bubbles and becomes thick, 8 to 10 minutes.
4. Remove the pan from the heat. Stir in salt, nutmeg, black pepper, cayenne pepper, 3 cups cheddar cheese, and 1 1/2 cups Gruyère (or 1 cup Pecorino Romano); set the cheese sauce aside.
5. Cook the macaroni in salted water until the outside of pasta is cooked and the inside is underdone, 4 to 5 minutes. Transfer the macaroni to a colander, drain well. Stir the macaroni into the reserved cheese sauce.
6. Pour the mixture into the prepared dish. Sprinkle the remaining 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese and 1/2 cup Gruyère (or 1/4 cup Pecorino Romano). Bake until golden brown, about 30 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes and serve.

The second time I made this I did a small batch and reserved extra cheese sauce to use the second day when reheating the noodles and it was really good. It was still creamy and did not have the separated oil or curdled look that other mac and cheese dishes had in the past.

The steak sandwiches were really simple...it was just a bit of work at the last minute to slice and assemble the sandwiches before serving. I bought 4 dozen pumpernickel rolls from the bakery, sliced them, added a slice of beef, and allowed guests to finish them with horseradish sauce, red onions, baby spinach , and mayo.

A Guide for Beef Sandwiches
The beef was pretty easy. I night before I trimmed the beef 5 pound beef tenderloins and cut them into 10 inch sections. The morning of the party I liberally seasoned them with salt and pepper. I browned each side in a large pan with a little olive oil. I put all 3 sections onto a large sheet pan and baked them in a 350 degree oven for about 30-35 minutes. The best way to check if they are done is to insert a meat thermometer. It should read about 150-160 degrees for medium, about what you want for a large group.

Posts You Might Enjoy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...