Tuesday, July 06, 2010

Tabbouleh


Tabbouleh is a traditional middle eastern parsley and bulgur salad. It is served at nearly every function I've attended with my husband. Growing up I wasn't much of a fan of this salad, but I've gotten used to it and now I even make it for my own family. Surprisingly my young son really enjoys this salad and will ask for it specifically. So, I made a small batch of it to take with us on a picnic the other day. He ate almost half of it all on his own!! I do put a bit more grain and a little less tomato in it which is to his liking.

3/4 c #1 Bulgur (cracked wheat)
4 lemons, juiced
2 bunches fresh curly parsley
1 handful fresh mint
1 large tomato, diced
6 green onions, sliced thinly
1 english cucumber, diced
1/2 c olive oil
salt
Place bulgur in a large bowl and pour boiling water over the grain until it is just covered. Cover bowl and let sit for 30 minutes. Fluff it with a fork and let it cool completely.
While that is working, pick the curly parsley off the stem. This takes awhile, but is worth it. Wash it well. You can use the sink, bowl, or a colander but it is very sandy so be sure to wash it well. Remove and place it in a towel or salad spinner. Make sure to dry it well...you do not want any excess water. Chop parsley in batches and place in a large mixing bowl. Add all remaining ingredients and adjust seasonings according to your taste. You might like more or less tomato, oil, lemon, or salt. I usually add the juice of three lemons and slowly add more after tasting. It should taste bright, lemony, and fresh!

Posts You Might Enjoy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...