Friday, October 12, 2012

Butternut Squash Muffins

Today I have another spin-off of our beloved muffins that I'm going to share with you.   Last week I used leftover sweet potatoes to make some tasty muffins that were met with rave reviews from the kids.  Another vegetable that they don't particularly like is butternut squash.  I made two of them last night and as I was packing up the leftovers it dawned on me that I could make muffins with it since it is so similar to pumpkin or sweet potato puree.  So this morning I pulled it out of the fridge and got to work.  The kids actually helped put the squash into the batter and were anxious to try the muffins to see if they tasted as good as the sweet potato muffins.  They could hardly wait for them to cool before they each ate 5 mini muffins and a regular size muffin.  Muffin success!

Butternut Squash Muffins
1 cup cooked butternut squash
2 eggs
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup water
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 3/4 cups flour
1 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
2 t cinnamon
1/2 t fresh nutmeg
In a medium bowl, whisk dry ingredients together and set aside.  In a large bowl, combine squash, eggs, oil, water, and sugars.  Stir the dry ingredients into the squash mixture until just combined.  Pour into prepared muffin pan.  Bake at 350 degrees until toothpick comes out dry, about 12-15 minutes for mini muffins or 15-20 minutes for larger muffins

Posts You Might Enjoy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...