Thursday, March 28, 2013

Chicken Galantine with Sausage Stuffing


A few weeks ago I watched Jacques Pepin debone an entire chicken in just a few minutes and I was totally intrigued. I finally had the chance this weekend to try my hand at deboning a chicken and I'm happy to say it went really well.  I only had to watch this video twice to get the hang of it.  I was so concerned about the deboning process that once I was finally ready to stuff it I realized I had no clue what I was going to stuff it with!  I look around and found some left over bread, two italian sausages, an onion, and some seasonings.  I gave it all a spin in the food processor and hoped for the best.  I'm happy to say it was actually pretty terrific.
The second time I made this I was more prepared and I stuffed it with this country apple and vegetable stuffing which was a bit chunkier and a much more appealing presentation.   It was really great and definitely made dinner feel like a special occasion.    The chicken turned out so moist and tender and the stuffing cooked up perfectly.  I served it with fresh broccoli, gravy, and a wild rice medley which went perfectly with this dish.

Chicken Galantine with Sausage Stuffing ( for Country Apple and Vegetable Stuffing click here)

1 chicken, deboned
2 sausage links
1 medium onion, diced
2-3 slices dry bread, cubed
1 egg
poultry seasoning
salt and pepper
butter

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Lay out your deboned chicken.  In a bowl mix all remaining ingredients except butter and spread onto chicken, making sure to press some of the mixture into the leg cavities.  Roll chicken together, incasing the stuffing, and tie up according to the video linked here.  Baste with melted butter and place in oven.  Insert a digital thermometer and roast for around 1 hour or until center reads 165 degrees, basting with butter every 20 minutes.
*Feel free to experiment with the stuffing, as this is more about the method than following a specific recipe.

* I served both of these with gravy made from the pan juices and stock I made from the bones.

Posts You Might Enjoy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...