Monday, March 18, 2013

Swiss Steak

Swiss Steak is not a pretty meal, but it was a favorite of mine as a child and I fondly remember it cooking away in the oven all afternoon and eating the braised meat with my family.  I particularly liked spooning the extra gravy over my mashed potatoes (or just eating the gravy by the spoonful!).
This is the perfect opportunity to have your little ones help you in the kitchen because every kid I know enjoys pounding things.  I just gave her the mallet and let her go.  I know I loved helping out with this meal as a kid and I'm hopeful that Grace will remember it fondly as well.
Swiss Steak

2 pounds round steak
2 medium onions, thinly sliced
1/2 cup flour
salt and pepper
1 cup water
1/4 cup flour
1 1/2 cups chicken or beef broth
1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce or soy sauce
oil

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.   Place 1/2 cup flour in a large ziplock bag and add a teaspoon of salt and pepper.   Toss to coat.  One at a time, pound steaks with a mallet or edge of a plate until 1/4 inch thick.  Repeat with remaining steaks and then lightly dust with another coating of the flour mixture.   Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a heavy pot or dutch oven and brown steaks.  You may need to do this in batches depending on the size of your pan as you don't want to crowd the meat.  Once all the meat is browned on both sides add the onions, 1 cup of water and worcestershire (or soy) sauce.  Bring up to a boil and then cover and transfer to oven.  Cook for 11/2 hours.  In a small bowl whisk broth, 1/4 cup flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper.  Stir into meat mixture and return to oven for an additional 30 minutes.  Remove from oven and check seasonings, adjust, and serve.

Posts You Might Enjoy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...