Monday, April 08, 2013

Mom's Granola

This recipe comes to you from my mother's kitchen...she has made this for years and everyone loves it.  I can eat it for breakfast with yogurt or by the handful as a snack and I never tire of it.  That is precisely why I only keep one jar out at a time and freeze the rest!
Granola

4 cups old fashioned oats
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1-2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 cup honey
1 1/2 cups dried fruit (I used raisins and cranberries)
1 1/2 cup nuts (I used a combo of walnuts, slivered almonds and sliced almonds)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 olive oil
1 teaspoon vanilla

Preheat oven to 250 degrees.  Mix oats, sugar, cinnamon, salt, and nuts in a large bowl.  Combine honey and oil and heat until dissolved.  (Stovetop or microwave work.)  Whisk in vanilla.  Drizzle over oat mixture and toss to coat.  Bake on a parchment-lined baking sheet for 50 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes.  Let cool completely and then break up and add the dried fruit.  Store in an airtight container for short term use or freeze flat in a ziplock bag.

Posts You Might Enjoy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...