Thursday, May 02, 2013

Chicken and Rice

I've been making this Chicken and Rice dish for a few years now and it has become a go to on nights when there isn't much left in the fridge and I'm looking for a quick one-pot wonder.  I always have chicken breasts in the freezer and I like to add leftover sausage when I have it on hand, but it isn't necessary.  We like to eat it with lots of hot sauce on top!

Chicken and Rice

2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed
4 cooked sausages, I used Italian style Chicken Sausages*
1 medium onion, diced
3 tablespoons butter
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups rice
4 cups chicken stock
2 bay leaves
salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Heat a tablespoon of oil and the butter in a dutch oven or oven safe pot and saute onions for 2 minutes.  Add the garlic and chicken, season with salt and pepper. and cook 4-5 minutes more.  Add all remaining ingredients and bring up to a boil.  Cover and transfer to hot oven.  Cook for 20-30 minutes or until rice is tender.  Remove from oven and fluff with a fork, remove bay leaves, and serve with hot sauce.

*I've found that I like the added flavor from grilled sausages, but I have also added raw sausage in at the same time as the raw chicken and it worked just fine as well.

Posts You Might Enjoy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...