Monday, July 15, 2013

Banana Bread

We love this banana bread.   It turns out so moist and stays tasty for days, not that it ever lasts that long. I often make a double batch and place a bunch of muffins in in the freezer for an easy grab and go breakfast.  Another thing I do quite often is bake one tray of mini muffins and add a different mix-in to each row for a fun breakfast. Yesterday I did 2 rows each of of chocolate chip, blueberry, and pecan.  The kids devoured the blueberry and chocolate chip and I preferred the pecan.
I also happen to know that these muffins are very adaptable.  I have substituted yogurt or applesauce for half of the oil, substituted half whole wheat flour for all purpose, used 3 bananas if I didn't have four, and added all sorts of things like flax seed, wheat germ, and  more.  You just can't go wrong since they are a great base muffin...just don't skip the nutmeg!

Banana Muffins

3 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
3 large eggs
1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
4 ripe bananas, mashed

In a stand mixer whisk the oil, sugar, eggs, and vanilla together.  In a bowl, whisk the dry ingredients together and add to wet ingredients.  Mix until fully incorporated.  Add bananas and mix until just incorporated.  Bake in a 325° oven.  Regular muffins will take about 18-20 minutes, mini muffins will take about 10 minutes and a large loaf or bundt will take over an hour.  I honestly do not ever time my muffins or cakes, I just use my sense of smell and eye ball it or use a toothpick inserted into the middle to test for doneness.

Posts You Might Enjoy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...