Thursday, July 04, 2013

Broccoli, Pasta, and Strawberry Salad

I've always really like the traditional broccoli salad served at church potlucks and picnics so I wasn't too surprised when I liked this version as much or more than the original.  I came up with this one day when I had extra broccoli, a pound of cooked pasta, and some strawberries in the fridge and I needed something to take to church for coffee hour.  I added poppyseeds to the dressing and it became an instant success.  Next time I might add some toasted pecans or almonds for a bit more crunch...but it was tasty without the nuts as well.

Broccoli, Pasta, and Strawberry Salad

1 pound cooked fusilli, cooled
1 pound fresh broccoli, washed and chopped
1 quart strawberries, hulled and diced
1/2 cup red onion, diced
1 cup mayonnaise
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons poppy seeds
optional
1/2 cup cooked bacon, crumbled
1 cup chopped toasted pecans (candied pecans would be wonderful!)

In a large bowl combine pasta, broccoli, onions, strawberries, and any of the optional ingredients.  In a bowl whisk together the mayonnaise, sugar, vinegar, salt, and poppy seeds.  Pour dressing over salad and toss to coat.

Posts You Might Enjoy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...