Thursday, July 25, 2013

Wedge Salad

I ordered a wedge salad and half a sandwich when I was out to lunch with a friend a few weeks ago and it reminded me how much I like a really fresh and crisp wedge salad.  The bacon and cheese combine with the creamy dressing for a knock out salad.  I made my own version with gorgonzola cheese the other day and I enjoyed it every bit as much as the restaurant version.

Wedge Salad with Gorgonzola

1 head iceberg lettuce
6 strips bacon, cooked and crumbled
2 ounces gorgonzola cheese
1-2 ripe tomatoes, diced
red onion or green onions, optional

Dressing
2 ounces gorgonzola cheese
3-4 tablespoons buttermilk
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup plain yogurt or sour cream
1 garlic clove, mashed into a paste
salt and pepper

Whisk all of the dressing ingredients in a bowl and refrigerate while you prep the bacon and lettuce.  (The dressing can be made ahead of time, even a day or two.)  Cut the iceberg lettuce into 4-6 wedges and place on a cold plate.  Pour dressing over lettuce wedge and garnish with bacon, more gorgonzola cheese, tomatoes and onions.  Serve.

Posts You Might Enjoy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...