Thursday, August 29, 2013

Zucchini Fritters

Oh my deliciousness.. are these not the best way to eat all of those zucchini you have growing in the garden?!  You should make these fritters even if you are tired of zucchini and you've had as much of it as you can stomach this summer.  You should really consider making these right now.
I've had the kids helping me out a lot in the kitchen this summer and I've been looking for simple things that they can help make and that are relatively quick and easy.  These fritters looked interesting, so I gathered up the ingredients and put them to work cutting up  zucchini and measuring out flour while I sautéed onions and heated the oil for frying.
Within 20 minutes we had these tasty morsels that we dipped in some fresh tomato sauce I had made to go over pasta for dinner.  I must say I've never seen the kids inhale zucchini quite so rapidly!  They loved these fritters and asked me to make them more often.  I happy to say that I actually agree with them on something!

Zucchini Fritters
adapted from Cook Like A Rock Star by Anne Burrell

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 large onion, small dice
1 medium zucchini, medium dice
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup milk
salt and pepper
oil for frying

Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat.  Add onions and cook until softened and browned.  Add zucchini and season with salt and pepper and cook until softened and beginning to brown.  Remove from heat.
In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and Parmesan cheese.  Add the zucchini mixture and stir to combine.  Add 1/2 cup milk and stir to form a thick, paste-like batter.
Heat vegetable or peanut oil in a large heavy saucepan over medium heat until it reaches 350°F.  The oil should be about 2 inches deep.  Using two spoons, scoop up about a tablespoon of batter and use the second spoon to push the batter off the spoon and into the oil. Fry for 2 minutes per side and then remove and place on a wire rack or plate lined with paper towels.  Serve with tomato sauce and extra Parmesan cheese.


Posts You Might Enjoy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...