Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Banana-Buttermilk Muffins

I can't think of many things that smell better than muffins and breads baking in the oven. The wonderfully warm aroma fills the entire house. I love how it wafts upstairs and lingers for the entire morning. This morning I crept downstairs bright and early to whip up a batch of banana muffins before my husband woke up. I found the recipe, got everything ready, fed the baby, and preheated the oven. Everything was going smoothly until my 7-month old started babbling at the top of his lungs...waking my slumbering husband. Oh well, maybe he'll get to sleep in some other time.

Banana-Buttermilk Muffins
adapted from Essentials of Healthful Cooking by Williams-Sonoma

1 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup whole-wheat flour
1/2 cup sugar
2 t baking powder
1 t baking soda
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup mashed banana
2 T canola oil
1 large egg
1 t vanilla extract
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Spray muffin pan or use paper liners.

In a large bowl, stir together the all-purpose flour and whole wheat flours, sugar, baking powder, and baking soda.

In another bowl whisk together the butter-milk, banana, oil, egg, and vanilla. Pour the wet ingredients over the dry ingedients and stir just until blended. Do not overmix. Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin cups. Sprinkle top with walnuts.

Bake until lightly browned and a toothpick comes out clean when inserted, 15-20 minutes. Cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes - if you can wait that long!

(I also added walnuts, cinnamon, and nutmeg to the batter. )

Wow, were these good. They turned out spongy, moist, and delicious. I would highly recommend adding the nutmeg...the aroma alone will draw you in. I have had to stop myself from going back for seconds. I really want another...but I am trying to be good.

Posts You Might Enjoy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...