Sunday, September 10, 2006

Cranberry Scones

I was flipping through my good old Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook the other night while lying in bed and I marked a few recipes that I haven't made in awhile. This scone recipe was actually better than I recalled. It was a nice break from our usual pancakes and waffles. It was also a good way to use up some buttermilk and dried cranberries that I had around. I'll definitely be making these again. Maybe next time I'll even make a little whipped cream to top them off with...yum!

Buttermilk-Cranberry Scones
adapted from Better Homes and Gardens New Cookbook

2 c all-purpose flour
1/4 c sugar
2 t baking powder
1/4 t baking soda
1/3 c butter
1 egg
1/2 c buttermilk
1/4 dried cranberries
2 t sugar crystals
1 T buttermilk

Stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Using a pastry cutter, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Make a well in the center of the dry mixture.
In another bowl, combine egg, buttermilk, and cranberries. Stir and then add mixture to dry ingredients. Stir until just moist.
Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Quickly knead dough 10-12 strokes or until dough is nearly smooth. Pat dough into a 7-inch circle. Cut into 6 wedges. Place wedges 1 inch apart on an ungreased baking sheet.
Brush scones with buttermilk and then sprinkle with sugar crystals. Bke in a 400 degree oven about 12 minutes or until slightly golden.

Posts You Might Enjoy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...