Monday, November 20, 2006

Pesto Bruschetta II



I know, I know, this is my second pesto bruschetta post in a very short time. However, I had to share this version I made today because it was so yummy. Today was my day to host our playgroup friends. We usually get together and have a light kid-friendly lunch consisting of crackers, cheese, fruit, and meats. Today I made those trays and I also added a couple of things for the adults and this bruschetta was a hit. Tonight I'm going to make a smaller version of today's lunch. I know Joseph is going to love the bruschetta as well.
Pesto Bruschetta

1 french baguette
olive oil
4 medium-sized ripe tomatoes
¼ cup onion
½ cup fresh basil
2 cloves garlic
salt
pepper
1 cup fresh basil pesto


Cut tomatoes into 1/3 inch slices and then run your finger around each piece to remove the seeds and extra juices. Continue to dice tomatoes and place in a medium sized bowl. Add minced garlic, diced onion, and basil chiffonade (Remove basil from stems, roll like a cigarette, and slice into very thin strands.) Season to taste with salt and pepper. This can be done 10 minutes to 1 day in advance.


Cut the baguette into ¼ inch slices. Place on a sheet pan and brush with a light coating of olive oil. Broil on high for 3-4 minutes or until lightly brown . Remove from oven and let cool. Spread a layer of pesto on each piece of bread. Place a heaping spoonful of the tomato mixture on top and finish with a layer of freshly grated parmesan cheese

Posts You Might Enjoy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...