Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Holiday Chocolate #2 - Chocolate Dipped Pretzels

After the Holiday Chocolate Workshop fiasco at Sur La Table a couple of weeks ago I've been anxious to give chocolates another shot. I figured I had a better chance of success without the chocolate police breathing down my neck.
The dipped pretzels from class actually looked nice enough when we made them but the chocolates used were not very tasty. So this time I used a block of Ghiradellhi chocolates which I knew I liked. I only made a dozen of these and I now know that was not enough. However, they are so easy that it literally would only take 20 minutes to make another large batch.
The second thing I made was a small batch of truffles. I've seen so many posts on truffles from the last SHF roundup that I couldn't take it anymore. I crumpled. I decided I just had to try making my own little batch of smooth velvety bites of goodness. I made a milk chocolate ganache and then I dipped them in the leftover pretzel chocolates and finally rolled them in walnuts. Mmmmm. Wow, what greatness. I only made 8 and they are all gone. I shouldn't make anymore...but I might. I just might make some and surprise Joseph later this week. He thought they were the most wonderful things ever. (Then again he could have been making up for his less-than-glowing review of the crepes earlier this week!)

Chocolate Dipped Pretzels

1/3 lb of your favorite chocolates (I would not suggest chocolate chips, since they have stabilizers that don't allow the chocolates to melt correctly.)
1 bag Pretzel rods
Decorations:
White Chocolate
Chopped Nuts
Sprinkles

Bring water to a simmer in a double boiler or a small pot with a glass bowl on top. Make sure the bowl does not touch the water. Place chocolates in the bowl and wait until melted and smooth. Hold one end of the pretzel and set the other end in the chocolate. Use a spatula to coat the rod. Tap the end of the rod against the bowl to remove excess chocolate. Set on parchment paper until set or decorate.

Milk Chocolate Walnut Truffles
1/3 pound milk chocolate
1/4 cup cream
1/4 pound dark chocolate
1 cup chopped walnuts

Heat chocolate and cream in a double boiler. After the chocolate starts to melt, stir until combined and smooth. Cool and then set in fridge for about 1 hour. Use a small ice cream scoop to make balls. Roll each ball in your hand and dip in melted dark chocolate. (I used a fork.) Then roll each ball in walnuts.

Posts You Might Enjoy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...