Friday, December 22, 2006

A Family Tradition - Filled Cookies

There are a few cookies that grace our holiday table each and every year. This particular one holds a special place in my heart since this is one that my Grandmother always brings to our Christmas get togethers. We can't wait for her to bring in her cookie tins filled with filled cookies and her amazing date cookies.  My brothers and I greet her with hugs and kisses and then snatch up a couple of cookies which always makes her smile.They are the very best cookies, mainly because they are with lots and lots of love.

Filled Cookies

2 cups sugar
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup shortening/butter
1 tsp. vanilla
1 egg
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
Enough flour to roll it out.

This is actually a very old recipe so it comes with no more direction than this. What I do is cream the butter and sugar and then add in the rest of the wet ingredients. Then I add the dry ingredients to about 1 cup of flour. Mix the wet and dry together. Then I gradually add flour by the 1/2 cup until the dough is not too wet and not too dry. It should be quite soft though. I place it in the refrigerator for an hour or two so that it firms up enough to roll out. Once I have it rolled out I cut circles out using one of my big wine glasses. Place a spoonful of your favorite jam or preserve (our favorites include raspberry, strawberry, and apricot) in the middle. Wet the edges of the cookie and place another cookie on the top and seal the edges. Bake at 350 degrees until the edges just start to brown. They will be quite pale in color...but oh so tasty.

Posts You Might Enjoy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...