Saturday, June 09, 2007

Our First Meal From the Garden

This is the day I've been waiting for. I've spent weeks and weeks hoeing, planting, watering, and weeding our garden all in hopes of bringing home fresh things to eat. My first harvest of the year was what sprung up from my salad mix seeds. These tender and tasty little lettuce leaves were the first things to come up and first things to mature enough for me to bring home. I was so eager to pluck them yet it almost hurt at the same time...knowing that I was killing something I had spent so much time caring for kind of hit a cord. But, I must say it was worth it. We enjoyed this fresh salad tremendously...not only was it delicious but I enjoyed each bite even more, knowing that I grew this out of nothing. What joy such simple things can bring!

Wilted Lettuce Salad
Dressing
4-6 slices cooked bacon (rendered fat reserved)
3 T apple cider vinegar
1 1/2 T sugar
1/2 t salt
freshly ground black pepper
(Hard boiled egg and green onions, optional)

Crumble sliced bacon and set aside. Heat bacon drippings in a small saucepan and add all remaining ingredients. Bring to a simmer. Add in crumbled bacon. Pour warm dressing over lettuce leaves and serve immediately.

Posts You Might Enjoy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...