Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Refrigerator Pickles

I'll have updates of the garden in the next couple of days. I'm amazed everyday by how well things are growing...sometimes I swear I can hear it while I'm there. My mom and I planted a couple of pickling cucumber plants and as you can see I'm getting myself prepared with recipes to use when all of the produce starts coming in.
These are fabulous...we ate one whole jar yesterday so I had to run and get more to replenish our stash. Here I used english or "hot house" cucumbers but I'll be eager to try the cute little ones when they're ready. They have a great tangy flavor. They come out slightly sweet and still crisp.


Refrigerator Pickles
adapted from Fresh Everyday more Great Recipes from Foster's Market

1 cup white vinegar
1/4 cup sugar
1 T kosher salt
1/2 t freshly ground black pepper
1 T pickling spices
1 large english cucumber
1/2 small white onion, sliced thinly
4-5 sprigs of fresh dill
Place everything except cucumbers in a quart jar with a tight lid. Shake to combine. Add cucumbers, shake again, and place in the refrigerator. Shake every hour or so for 4 hours to make sure all of the pickles are separated.

Posts You Might Enjoy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...