Monday, August 20, 2007

Bushels of Tomatoes

We are a couple weeks into tomato season and I am starting to feel the weight of all of those beautiful tomatoes. I knew I planted far too many...but how could I stop myself? I wanted a variety and each variety came in a four pack! I ended up planting over a dozen plants in my garden and another handful by the side of the house. I was so excited when the first ripe tomatoes started showing up but I am drowning in them now. Last week I canned 19 jars of
whole peeled tomatoes, 2 jars of sauce, and a couple jars of juice. Now I have just as many tomatoes as I did last week and I need to repeat the whole process (not to mention buy more canning jars) to use them up. I know I will be thrilled with jars and jars of fresh tomatoes this
winter, but I have to tell you all of that work is a little daunting right now.
During the process, Gabe and took a little time out to make some fresh pasta to enjoy with our homemade sauce. We needed a shortcut so we threw everything in the food processor and let it rip. He helped me roll it out and then we topped it with some sauce and a few wonderful little meatballs.

Oven Roasted Tomato Sauce

2-3 lbs plum tomatoes, peeled and seeded
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp dry oregano
1 tsp dry basil
salt
pepper
olive oil
balsamic vinegar
Lay tomato halves cut side up on a large sheet pan. Sprinkle garlic and herbs over tomatoes.
Sprinkle with salt and pepper as well. Drizzle a little olive oil and a little balsamic vinegar over the tomatoes. Roast at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until tender and the edges are slightly browned. Remove from oven and mash with a fork or potato masher. (I also tried the food processor but decided on a chunkier sauce.)


Posts You Might Enjoy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...