Saturday, September 29, 2007

A New Pan and Madeleines


Since starting this food endeavor of mine I have found so many interesting food blogs (not to mention the actual bloggers) that I am constantly being inspired by all of the goodies that I see out there each day. I drool over the wonderful pictures, bookmark more recipes than I can ever get to, and dream about the tastes of those things that are foreign to me. Sometimes I'll see a post on another blog and I won't be able to get it out of my head for months.
This is exactly what happened with the madeleines. I hadn't ever seen, much less tasted one before discovering the world of food blogging and then at one point there seem to be an explosion of posts on them. Since then I have been so curious to try one that I couldn't shake the thought. So, when I happened to be in Williams Sonoma getting another specialty pan (one that you will no doubt be seeing shortly) I decided to finally break down and buy a pan that is specific to this one type of cake.
I can not believe I waited so long. They are wonderful. Wonderful! They are my new favorite thing. I baked up a batch tonight and we scarfed down 8 of them in mere minutes. Gabe nearly had 3 by himself. I made a plain batch, nothing other than a little vanilla for flavoring, mainly so we could get the base taste sensation. We loved the crisp seashell side coupled with the light cakiness. I saved some for breakfast...but I'm almost certain that I will be making another batch this week. Yum Yum!

Madeleines
adapted from Bea of La Tartine Gourmande

160 g flour
100 g soft butter
100 g sugar
2 large eggs, at room temperature
2 tsp vanilla
2 tsp baking powder
2 pinch of salt

Preheat your oven temp. 300 F .
Cream the butter, salt, and sugar in a bowl. Add one egg at a time, mixing well between each addition. Add in vanilla.
Add the flour and the baking powder.
Place in buttered madeleine molds and bake for about 20 mns.
Take out and let cool.

Posts You Might Enjoy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...