Thursday, November 29, 2007

Monkey Bread

The other day my husband sent me a quick e-mail mentioning monkey bread. {edit: I have to make a correction here. Joseph's coworker, Brent, needs to be mentioned here for bringing Monkey Bread to Joseph's attention. If it were not for Brent and his keen eye for sweet delectables, my family would have missed out on this wonderful bread. Brent, thank you, thank you, for bringing this recipe to the forefront of my to-make list.} (I think he was actually hinting that I should make some and send it in for breakfast.) He even went so far as to include the Wikipedia link in case I needed more information on finding a recipe. I guess he had never heard of it and thought that I hadn't either. I'm actually familiar with the bread but I have never eaten it or made it...which I guess, in his mind, would signal that I am totally unaware of this sweet treat.
Last night I thought I would surprise him and make it for dessert rather than wait for the weekend and make it for breakfast. (If he thinks I'm going to drag myself from our warm and cozy bed at 4:30 in the morning to make this and have it ready for him to take to work by 5:30, then he is nuts!) So, I got everything out and let Gabe do most of the heavy work. I only had to cut the biscuits and take care of the sauce.

My husband ended up being late last night so Gabe and I snuck a few bites before it cooled too much, and I must say that we are both fans of this fun monkey bread.

(Here I've made a mini-bundt pan that takes about 1/3 of the original recipe.)
Monkey Bread
1 can buttermilk biscuits
1/2 cup sugar
2 t cinnamon
chopped walnuts or pecans - optional
1/3 cup brown sugar
4 T butter
Combine brown sugar and butter in small saucepan. Boil for 1 minute.
Cut each biscuit into 6 pieces. Drop biscuits into ziplock bag containing sugar and cinnamon mixture. Shake to coat. Layer in small bundt pan. Pour half of sauce halfway up the bundt pan. Continue with biscuits. Pour remaining sauce on top. Bake for roughly 40 minutes at 350 degrees. (After 30 minutes I begin checking by pulling up on a biscuit and checking to see if it is cooked through. It all depends on your particular pan.) Let cool 5 minutes and then invert onto plate. Cool another 8-10 minutes and then enjoy.

Posts You Might Enjoy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...