Friday, December 14, 2007

A Little Christmas Baking...Finally


It seems like the past few months have utterly flown by. It seems as though we were just getting ready for Halloween and in a blink we've been transported to Christmas.

I feel like I am behind. I do have my shopping done, and the tree and house have been decorated for weeks, but I haven't done much baking. I have a hard time getting into the Christmas spirit without sugar cookies to decorate, my grandma's date nut cookies, or things covered in chocolate. So, last night I set to work and whipped up a few batches of cookies that I'll be sharing with you in the next few days.

The first batch of cookies was a super simple macaroon. I made these for a church brunch during the summer and they were a huge hit. People were asking for more long after they had disappeared from the buffet table. I never knew they were such a popular little cookie.

Having these around make it feel a little more like the holidays.

Coconut Macaroons
14 ounces shredded coconut
14 ounces sweetened condensed milk
1 t vanilla
2 egg whites, room temperature
large pinch of salt

Whip egg whites and salt on high speed until medium firm peaks are made. Combine remaining ingredients in a large bowl. Carefully fold whites into mixture making sure not to deflate egg whites too much. Drop spoonfuls on parchment lined baking sheets. Bake at 325 degrees for 25-30 minutes.

Posts You Might Enjoy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...