Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Prepping the Plot


(Pictures from last year's garden)

It's time to start our garden for this year and I'm super excited...but a little hesitant at the same time. Last year I planted more than I could ever dream of using and had to find lots of willing people to take the extras...at times, if you can believe it, that was hard.
This year I have to tone down my excitement and try to plant only what I can use or store for use during the winter. I also have to get right to work this weekend planting since I only have a couple of weeks left before our new addition is due to make his/her arrival.
This year I plan on planting the following:
two varieties of peas
beans
lettuce
beets
carrots
radish
leeks
basil
green/red peppers
1 plant of cucumbers and 1 of squash
1-2 varieties of tomato plants
4-5 varieties of flowers
I opted out of planting corn, potatoes, watermelon, patty pan, brussell sprouts, and I've cut the number of tomato plants by about 15. I like all of these, and had fun growing them last year, however I needed things that were a little less water dependant and plants that have shorter growing seasons. Many of the things I selected this year will mature and be ready for use in a short amount of time like the lettuces, radish, peas, basil, and some of the flowers. This way I can decide later on if I would like to have a second planting or just leave some of the garden open and give myself a break from the watering and tending that comes with such a large plot. Many of the other things I plan on planting a smaller amount of, say, half of what I planted last year.
As long as the weather cooperates I will be out digging in the dirt this Saturday. I can hardly wait!

Posts You Might Enjoy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...