Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Stuffed Bread

I ran across a picture of these on Tastespotting (one of my favorite sites) and I followed it to a blog by the name of Eating Out Loud. After reading Allen's account I couldn't agree with him more. Like him, I sometimes see things on other blogs and I don't even take time to bookmark it...I disconnect my laptop, carry it to the kitchen, and set to work on whatever I've gotten my head wrapped around. Today, he did that very thing to me. I read his blog entry, carried my computer to the kitchen, and whipped up my own version.
I took a few liberties and I morphed them from dainty appetizer-sized portions to a much larger dinner-sized portion. My version made about 10 stuffed breads and I filled them with a combination of bacon, onion, and chicken. My filling was made out of things I found in the fridge...but I must say they turned out super tasty. I started out with about 4 slices of bacon that I sliced and put in a pot. After a few minutes rendering time I added in a whole sliced onion and 2 chicken breasts that I diced up. I seasoned it with salt and pepper and let it cool. It was a knock-out filling that I will definitely be duplicating in the future.

Dough Recipe
based on:
Eating Out Loud

½ cup lukewarm water
1 package active dry yeast
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 ½ teaspoon salt
2 tablespoon sugar
½ cup milk
1 egg
1/2 cup oil
Dissolve the yeast in lukewarm water (in the bowl of your kitchenaid if you have one) and let stand for about 5 minutes. Add milk, sugar, salt, oil, and eggs. Mix until combined. With a dough hook, add 3 cups flour and mix on low to medium speed until smooth and elastic, about 5-6 minutes. Put the dough into a large clean bowl, drizzle with oil and cover with plastic wrap and a kitchen towel. Leave to rise in a warm place for about 1 ½ hours, or until doubled in bulk.

I cut the dough into 10 pieces and then shaped them into balls. I rolled them out one by one with some flour and a rolling pin. I then filled them with enough filling to cover one half the dough. I folded the dough over and crimped the edges. I baked mine on a large baking sheet lined with parchment. They took about 15-20 minutes at 425 degrees.

Posts You Might Enjoy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...