Wednesday, January 06, 2010

Polenta "Pizza"

My pictures don't do this pizza justice. I love polenta, but topping it and baking it make it even better!! We liked the idea so much that we have made three or four versions of this pizza. The original was our favorite but the others were very tasty. I think I would like almost anything on this polenta!
I made an Italian sausage, sauteed onion, and Fontina cheese version as well as a sausage, marinara, and Fontina cheese style pizza. We preferred the first, but they were both mighty yummy. I liked these enough that I made a second batch of the sausage and onion pizza a few days later, but I used a different recipe for the polenta crust. I love this version from Barefoot Contessa. The rosemary in the polenta added another dimension of flavor to the pizza and made it really tasty.

Polenta "Pizza"
1 recipe polenta - see above
1/4 lb sweet italian sausage, browned
2 large onions, thinly sliced and cooked in a bit of oil until tender and caramelized
1-2 cups fontina cheese, freshly grated

Distribute toppings evenly on polenta.  Cook in a 400 degree oven until cheese is melted and pizza is heated through.  Remove and cut into squares.


Posts You Might Enjoy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...