Thursday, June 13, 2013

Crepes : Sweet and Savory

Long ago I made dessert crepes for the kids and they were not at all impressed.  I think they were too young to appreciate the lightness of the crepes and confused by these delicate looking pancakes.   Afterwards, it took a very long time for me to get around to making them again.  The other day I had a craving for a savory crepe and I happened to have some ham and a hunk of cheese that I needed to use up so I decided to serve it up to the family and see what happened.  The ham and cheese crepes were delightful and I won over 3 out of 4 diners.
I thought 3 out of 4 was decent, but I'm a perfectionist sometimes and I was really determined to win the last member over so I made the extra crepes into dessert crepes.  I threw some chocolate chips and banana slices in the middle and warmed them in the oven.  As I brought them to the table I was pretty sure everyone would like them but I wasn't exactly prepared for how much the kids would love these crepes.  They went on and on and asked me to make seconds, which I promptly made for them.   And then they even begged me to promise I would make them for their birthday breakfasts when they came around.  It was too funny!  So, it looks like I will be able to make crepes again.  Yay me!

Crepes
makes 12-14 small crepes

1 1/2 cups milk
2 eggs
1 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 tablespoon sugar

Whisk eggs, milks, and sugar together in a medium bowl.  Add dry ingredients and whisk vigorously until combined.  Heat a small pan over medium heat and spray with cooking spray and add a scant 1/4 cup batter and immediately lift and tilt pan and swirl the batter around and around to coat the pan.  Cook for about 2 minutes or until edges are dry and beginning to brown.  Flip with a spatula and cook for 20 seconds on the second side.  Remove and place on a foil lined pan and keep in a 300°F oven.   Repeat with remaining batter.

*To assemble, place 2 or 3 pieces of thinly sliced ham and a handful of shredded cheese down the center of each crepe.  Fold edges over and lightly press down to keep them in place.  Heat in over for 5-6 minutes or until cheese is melted.  Garnish with chives or green onions.

Posts You Might Enjoy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...