Monday, August 05, 2013

Mystery Box Challenge and Chimichurri

My entire family has been catching up on the current season of Masterchef lately and the kids have been quite interested in the show.  They have always been drawn to cooking and they have lots to say about what each home chef is creating and what they should or should not be doing during the challenges.  So I thought it would be fun to create a real-life mystery box challenge in our home kitchen.  I placed identical ingredients on two separate cutting boards and I gave one cutting board to my husband and one to myself and set the timer for 60 minutes.  We each created our own meal with the ingredients provided and a few pantry staples.  It was a fun challenge and I think this will become a regular thing.
It was quite fun to watch my husband work with the ingredients and see what he could create.  He came up with a simple dry rubbed steak with crispy potatoes and fresh tomato slices.  I made a grilled steak with chimichurri sauce served over polenta with mixed veggies and crisp potatoes.  We finished on time and all sat down together and shared our creations and it sparked a lot of conversation which was quite fun.

Chimichurri Sauce
I love the bright taste of this sauce on steak, eggs, fish, or veggies.  It is so easy and versatile and instantly dresses up any meal.

1 cup fresh parsley, minced
1 teaspoon oregano, crushed
2 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed into a paste
1/4 cup olive oil
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
Juice of 1 lime
salt and pepper

Mix all ingredients and let sit for 20-30 minutes.

Posts You Might Enjoy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...