Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Apple Bundt Cake

Bundt cakes are probably my favorite type of way to bake a cake. They turn out beautiful without having to add much of anything to them. (Although having just taken my cake decorating class I wouldn't have minded the opportunity to try my hand at decorating again...but I had some more apples to use up, so apple cake it was.) They keep for longer periods of time than a traditional sheet cake and they stay moist. This bundt cake was especially good because of the surprise layer of spiced apples through the middle. Once cooled I finished it with a dusting of powdered sugar and dessert (and breakfast) were complete.
I also happen to have a couple different sized bundt pans which worked out well for this since the recipe made a full sized cake plus a mini one as well. We kept the small cake and I sent the other one to work with my husband. The smaller size it great for the two of us because we don't have to worry about wasting half of a cake, which is what typically happens. We just can't eat the same cake every night for a week without getting tired of it.
Apple Bundt Cake
adapted from http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/recipe_views/views/102692

4 medium Golden Delicious apples (about 1 1/2pounds), peeled, cut into 1/3-inch pieces
5 tablespoons plus 1 1/4 cups sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
4 large eggs
1 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup orange juice
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 cups all purpose flour
3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
Powdered sugar


Preheat oven to 350°F. Oil and flour 12-cup Bundt pan. Mix apple pieces, 5 tablespoons sugar and ground cinnamon in medium bowl. Combine 1 1/4 cups sugar, eggs, vegetable oil, orange juice, and vanilla extract in large bowl; whisk to blend. Stir flour, baking powder and salt into egg mixture. Spoon 1 1/2 cups batter into prepared Bundt pan. Top with half of apple mixture. Cover with 1 1/2 cups batter. Top with remaining apples, then batter.
Bake cake until top is brown and tester inserted near center comes out with moist crumbs attached, about 1 hour 30 minutes. Cool cake in pan on rack 15 minutes. Run knife around sides of pan to loosen. Turn cake out onto rack. Cool at least 45 minutes. Dust with powdered sugar. Serve slightly warm or at room temperature.
I will be keeping this recipe around. I did have to reduce the orignal amount of sugar from 2 1/2 cups to 1 1/4 cups because it seemed to be getting reviews that said it was on the sweet side. I think it was delightful without the extra sugar. I also skipped the orange peel because I simply didn't have an orange to zest. This did indeed make for a good dessert last night as well as a good breakfast this morning!

Posts You Might Enjoy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...