Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Easy Bread Pudding with Almond Streusel

We love our french bread and baguettes around here, but I always end up with a third of a loaf leftover. That leftover bread dries out so quickly that we just don't make use of it and I feel awful everytime I pitch the remains in the garbage. I normally don't like bread pudding...so I don't know what possessed me to make this yesterday but I'm glad I did. I think I might be reformed. I love this bread pudding. It wasn't overly soggy or wet and the streusel topping is a must, in my opinion!

(I winged it, so here is the basic idea.)
Bread Pudding with Almond Streusel Topping

1/3 loaf french bread, cubed (about 3-4 cups total)
1 1/2 cups milk
2 eggs
1/4 cup sugar (I used slightly less)
1/4 cup raisins, soaked in water for 5 minutes (next time I'll bake them on the bottom as I don't like the shriveled dry ones that were on top.)
1 t cinnamon

Topping
3 T butter
1/4 cup brown sugar
3 T flour
1-2 t cinnamon
pinch of salt
1/4 c slivered or sliced almonds

Place bread in a buttered baking dish. Combine remaining ingredients and pour over. Gently toss to coat. While the bread soaks, combine topping ingredients with a fork. Sprinkle over bread mixture. Bake 30-40 minutes at 350 degrees.

Posts You Might Enjoy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...