Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp

I've always liked rhubarb. Growing up my mom had a few plants at the far end of the garden and we would always pick a few stalks, take them into the kitchen, sprinkle each bite with sugar and gobble them up like a stalks of celery. We also made lots of pies and crisps...strawberry rhubarb was my favorite.
I planted rhubarb in my own garden last year and waited a whole year before being able to pick any. Today was my first taste. I only had to use two stalks for the small crisp I made for dessert. It tasted every bit as good as the ones we used to make...maybe even just a bit sweeter since I grew it myself and got to enjoy it with my own children! The only thing better would have been if mom was able to make it with me. Maybe next time!
No real recipe. I just eyeball it each time. Here is a guide for a small one like I made here.

Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp
2 stalks of rhubarb
1 cup or so of strawberries
1-2 T sugar
3-4 T flour
3 T butter
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 rolled oats
1/2 tsp cinnamon
salt
Chop rhubarb into 1 inch cubes and quarter the strawberries. Toss with sugar and 1 tablespoon of the flour. Add to baking dish. In a small bowl combine remaining flour and butter. Use a fork or your fingers to combine until you see pieces the size of peas. Add the remaining ingredients and combine thoroughly. Sprinkle on top of rhubarb mixture. Bake at 350 until browned and bubbly, about 30 to 40 minutes depending on the size.

Posts You Might Enjoy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...