Saturday, September 11, 2010

Cheesy Grits with Shrimp, Leeks, and Asparagus

I liked this combination even better than I thought I would. The fresh corn in these grits was really terrific and everything tasted fresh. It was a big hit at dinner! Is tomorrow too soon to make this again???

Cheesy Grits
I thought I had regular grits in the pantry but when I started dinner I realized I was out. So, I substituted Cream of Wheat style grits that cook in 2 1/2 minutes and they actually worked out perfectly. So I am including this variation.
2 cups water
2 cups milk
3/4 cup cream of wheat
Fresh corn : I cut the kernels from 2 ears and it was the perfect amount
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
3 T butter
3/4 cup sharp cheddar
Bring liquids and salt to a boil. Slowly add grits while whisking to prevent lumps. Add fresh corn and cook for 2 1/2 minutes. Turn heat off and add butter, pepper, and cheese.

Shrimp with asparagus topping
1 pound peeled and deveined shrimp
3 slices bacon, diced
1 1/2 cups asparagus spears
1/2 cup leeks, sliced thinly
1 T butter
1 T olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
In a large saute pan add 1 T oil and 1 T butter. Saute bacon and leeks until bacon begins to brown. Add asparagus and garlic. Add shrimp and cook until light pink on both sides, season to taste.

Posts You Might Enjoy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...