Thursday, February 28, 2013

Salad in a Jar

Salad in a Jar is a terrific idea that I came across and wanted to share with everyone.  Lately I've found myself making up a few jars on Sunday night and eating them throughout the week.  I have found that they hold up really well in the fridge and last for 3-4 days. I look forward to lunch all week long when I know I have a fresh salad waiting for me each day.

Salad in a Jar  
Layer your favorite salad ingredients by placing the wettest ingredients toward the bottom of each jar and placing the lettuces on top.  It is best to use a wide mouth canning jar so you can easily get everything in and out.  When you are ready to eat just dump your salad onto a salad plate and top with your favorite dressing, an egg, croutons or Chow Mein noodles (like me) and enjoy.

Some of my favorite ingredients are:
Beans : kidney, pinto, or chick peas are my favorites
Green Onion or Red Onion
Cucumber
Red or Green Pepper
Carrot
Hard boiled Eggs (Leave the egg whole and place it on top of the lettuces.)
Feta cheese ( Place on top of the lettuces)
Ham
Cold Grilled Chicken
Bacon
There are no excuses when it comes to Salad in a Jar...even my kids can put them together with just a bit of supervision. As they like to say "Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy!"

Posts You Might Enjoy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...