Monday, March 25, 2013

Make Ahead Breakfast Burritos

I'm always on the search for make ahead dishes that are easy to reheat in the morning.  On weekdays my husband leaves the house before the sun is up and heads to the gym for an early workout or swim.  I often find myself scrambling to prepare something the night before, so I decided to make a huge batch of breakfast burritos and store them in the freezer so that he can grab one on those days when I don't have time to prepare anything fresh.  These burritos are packed with a hearty mix of roasted potatoes, sausage, peppers, onion, and cheese.  I made enough filling to make 20 burritos which are the perfect size to grab and eat on the go.  They should last in the freezer for months, but I'm willing to bet they won't last more than a few weeks since the kids kept an eye on me while I was assembling them!
Breakfast Burritos

4 russet potatoes
1 small onion, diced
1 red and/or green pepper, diced
1/2-1 pounds breakfast sausage
12 eggs
1 cup milk
1-2 cups grated cheese (I used colby/jack)
20 taco shells
olive oil
salt and pepper
steak seasoning/season all

Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and preheat oven to 400°F.  Wash potatoes and cut into 1 inch cubes.  Put potatoes on baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil.  Season with salt and pepper and your favorite mix of spices.  (I used a steak seasoning mix and a little rosemary.)  Toss to coat and bake for 20-30 minutes or until fork tender, remove and cool.
Heat a drizzle of olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium and add onion and peppers.  Cook 3-4 minutes and then add breakfast sausage.  Cook until vegetables are tender and sausage is cooked through.  Remove and let cool in a large bowl.
Using same pan add a pat of butter.  Whisk eggs, milk, salt and pepper in a large bowl and then add to sauté pan.  Cook until eggs are set and no liquid remains.  Add to bowl with sausage mixture, let cool.  Add cooled potatoes to mixture.
Once mixture has cooled completely, add grated cheese.  Heat 2-3 taco shells in the microwave for 20 seconds to make them pliable and add a large scoop of filling.  Roll burrito up and wrap it in foil or plastic wrap.  (We unwrap ours before heating so I use foil.)  Place wrapped burritos in large ziplock bags and store in freezer.
*I defrost one in the fridge the night before and then my husband heats them for about 45 seconds in the morning.  You could heat directly from the microwave if you desire.  Adjust microwave time accordingly.)

Posts You Might Enjoy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...